Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Enjoying Camp Scrap!

Last week I started May Flaum's Camp Scrap class at Big Picture Scrapbooking, and though I haven't gotten to spend as much time at camp as I'd like (darn that job!), I have already found lots of inspiration.

In her pre-class email, May (I hope it's ok to be on a first-name basis), challenged us to just get something scrapped, to get the creative spirit going. I pulled out the picture of Robby at Hampton Beach that I'd been holding on to for a year and just scrapped it. I didn't worry about having a "worthy" story or whether I should wait and get it enlarged or whatever usually stalls me. I just sat down and made a layout with it. I'm so glad I did -- I do love that photo because it looks like such a typical beach photo, but the facts give it a twist.


Then came the start of the class -- first the inspiration for texture and embellishment from May and Nic Howard, then a layout using strips of paper, and this layout with a photo I'd been holding on to for 2 years and some paper I've saved for almost as long:

You can't see from the photo, but I added a lot of texture to the edges of those strips -- punching, distressing, tearing and cutting fringe. Way more texture and patterned paper than I typically use. And another photo and story saved. Then when I added this one to my stack of new layouts, I was struck how similar I had unwittingly made them -- an unintentional scrap-lift of myself. Gave me a little chuckle.

I'm loving this camp -- if only it were sleep-away!

No comments:

Post a Comment